Saturday 11 August 2007

Second Thoughts Songs

An occasional feature from the old Sour Grapes blog (here and here), in which song-writers are forced to face up to the shame of some of their lyrical choices. Today's selection comes from Rufus Wainwright, the song Tiergarten from his new album Release the Stars, and involves the entire song. This is toe-curlingly awful on a level Paul McCartney can only dream of. Enjoy:

Won't you walk me through the Tiergarten?
Won't you walk me through it all, darling?
Doesn't matter if it is raining
Won't you walk me through it all?

Even if the sun, it is blazing
Even if the snow, it is raging
All the elements, we must conquer
To get to the other side of town

I have suffered shipwreck against your dark brown eyes
I have run aground against your broken down smiles
Believe me when I tell you I have no place to go
But to go where the wild flowers grow and the stone gardens bloom.

Won't you walk me through the Tiergarten?
Won't you walk me through it all, darling?
Doesn't matter if it is raining,
We'll get to the other side of town.