Saturday 11 August 2007

The Art Teacher

Just to even the score for Rufus somewhat, here's a little exercise I was toying with, using one of his other lyrics. I suppose this one's a bit silly too. I mean, he's pretending to be a gurl!

But that's not the point. Try it yourself with your favourite lyrics!!ONE1!


"The Art Teacher"
Lyrics by Rufus Wainwright
Hyperlinks by Sour Grapes

There I was in uniform
Looking at the art teacher
I was just a girl then;
Never have I loved since then

He was not that much older than I was
He had taken our class to the Metropolitan Museum
He asked us what our favorite work of art was,
But never could I tell it was him
Oh, I wish I could tell him --
Oh, I wish I could have told him

I looked at the Rubens and Rembrandts
I liked the John Singer Sargents
He told me he liked Turner
Never have I turned since then
No, never have I turned to any other man

All this having been said,
I married an executive company head
All this having been done, a Turner - I own one
Here I am in this uniformish, pant-suit sort of thing,
Thinking of the art teacher
I was just a girl then;
Never have I loved since then
No, never have I loved any other man.