Monday 14 May 2007

Blog pals

A message to all those who have a stupid chain of random letters to fill in before making blog comments:

You're making your friends jump through hoops, and doing strictly fuck-all to your enemies.

The measure is designed to thwart blog-comment spam. There is no such thing as blog-comment spam. I have four blogs to which I post, and I have 83 feeds on my Google Reader. Only a fraction of people use those letter-chains, and nobody else ever gets comments-spam that I can see.

On the other hand, for those of your friends who want to post a quip to your postie, it's a real pain in the arse to have to show your credentials at the door. It takes away part of the point of commenting, and certainly attacks the community aspect blogging can be used to further (in some cases: I don't call this a little red blog for nothing). Sometimes I pass on commenting if I can't be arsed jumping through the hoops, frankly.

So weigh those factors in the balance, blog-pals like Lucyp (newly blogrolled) and Zen and others.