Tuesday 3 July 2007

Pownce

Here's what it says on their site:

Pownce is a way to send messages, files, links, and events to your friends. You'll create a network of the people you know and then you can share stuff with all of them, just a few of them, or even just one other person really fast.
Another social network? Really? Was there a shortage of social networks?

Doesn't it occur to them that people who have friends are probably all fixed up with networks by now, so their service is likely only of interest to people looking for friends? Is that what this is?

But then doesn't it occur to them that the kind of people who sniff around social network sites hoping to find friends are by definition not the kind of people anyone wants as a friend? So is it really a good idea to create a site where only those people are going to show up?

Personally, I've given up on social sites. I got my 30Boxes thing set up (see bling, right) and it was like, Sour Grapes has 0 Buddies. And I was like, what.ever, because if a man of my age is still looking for buddies, something must have gone terribly wrong.

As for Do.oh, mentioned below, I'm signed up as his/her friend on Twitter. That's my social network: one of my best friends is a to-do list program. You'd think marrying one would have been enough.